Friday, September 14, 2012

CASology: Sky

I was walking through a discount store the other day when I stumbled upon some craft punches - big ones for $3.99.  One of them was this large dragonfly punch, which I couldn't resist. I was good to buy just one, right!?

At any rate, I was excited to try it out and it worked perfectly for the CASology theme this week, which is sky.  I pulled out some of my girls' art supplies and painted a sheet of watercolor paper with liquid watercolors, sprinkling some areas with salt for a more dramatic effect.  I love liquid watercolors and use them frequently in the art lessons I teach, but I've never used them for my own cards. 

When the paper was dry I punched out a gazillion dragonflies and used ten of them to make a set of notecards.  I fiddled around for quite a while before settling on this simple layout.  I first tried the dragonfly straight up and down with a sentiment below it, but it looked so much better angled with the sentiment tucked under the wing. I found black ink to be too strong for the sentiment, but Memento London Fog was just right.

I can't figure out how to take a good picture of several cards, so here they are in sets of two.  






A few favorites:


 


12 comments:

Kim S said...

What a gorgeous effect!!

Rosemary said...

wow... stunning set of cards, ann! and what a deal on that dragonfly punch!

Tracey McNeely said...

Love this set of notecards, your dragonfly is so sweet. Thank you so much for joining us this week at CASology!

Judy1223 said...

Oh, Ann, what a great set of CAS cards! And what a great find, I love that dragonfly punch! Really cool colors, I'll have to try that technique. Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

That dragonfly punch was a lucky find! I love the way you've colored them. I've never tried the salt, but I think I may have to try it out. Amazing colors!

Darnell said...

Great job on finding that fab punch on sale, Ann! I love dragonflies and what a fun idea punching them out of your stunning homemade paper.

It's a lucky person who will be getting this set of note cards!!

Ardyth said...

Wow! I love the effect you've achieved with those watercolours - all unique. Thanks so much for playing along with CASology this week!

Vicky Hayes said...

Beautifully CAS - and so prettily coloured Ann!

Karen M said...

All your cards are beautiful and what a great punch! Hugs x x

shirley-bee said...

These are beautiful, Ann!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Ann! I love the technique you've used - so effective! Yes, you were very good only buying one punch!
xx

lostinpaper said...

Super use of colour and love how you have kept the design CAS!